One can still see in the part of the olive grove below the road half-moon shaped dry stone wall terraces – very few of these remain in Tuscany today. (Listed in the leases in the copy of the Libro delle Stime).
Spedalone was renovated again in 1850 with the addition of the loggia and large wood-burning oven to the “lower” wing.
Until about 1960, three families, in all about 45 people, lived on the farm — two families lived in the lower wing, and one in the upper wing. They cultivated the land on the farm’s approximately 160 hectares, much of which remained forest. The entire ground floor of the farm building housed the animals, including work oxen, sheep and horses.
From 1961 through 1970 Graziano Mesina grazed his flock of 3000 sheep on the farm.
From then until now, the farm was used occasionally for social gatherings, but it was never abandoned.
… Other discoveries remain to be made, with patience and perspicacity, by whomever is inclined to look for clues…
… And that is what we are doing!
We are, in fact, continuing our research every day, driven by the firm conviction that Spedalone is hiding other secrets and treasures which are seeking to be brought to light so they will illuminate the trail of our past!
E noi lo siamo!
Spedalone is cited in “ The First Christian Communities and Roman Roads to Siena, Arezzo and Chiusi”, Alfredo Maroni, 1990, pages 78, 81.
See also, Libro delle Stime from 1500 to 1800.